- 1 1/2 pounds of chicken; cut into 1-inch cubes (may substitute lamb or shrimp)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil; for marinade
- 5 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Fresh red chilies; julienned
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup green onions; sliced
- 4 tablespoon (1/4 cup) mustard oil (for cooking)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl combine chicken, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, one tablespoon of mustard oil, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat thoroughly.
- Marinate chicken for two at least two hours.
- In a non-stick pan warm 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of mustard oil over medium-high heat. Saute fenugreek seeds in the oil until they turn dark. Add cloves and saute for an additional 15 seconds.
- Transfer the coated chicken to the pan, stir well, and brown over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, ginger and red chilies to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Stir-fry chicken until cooked through. Add water to moisten, if necessary.
- Add green peas, green onions, and cinnamon, and stir for two minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain off any excess oil. Serve with stir-fried vegetables and rice or Roti.
Keep informed about San Diego Events!
Sign-up for our weekly Eblast by clicking here: Sign Me Up!