- 1 (4 to 4 ½ pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped Serrano or Jalapeno pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Note: This recipe requires that the chicken be marinated for 4 or more hours.
- Cut diagonal slices 1-inch apart, and 1/2-inch deep into the larger chicken pieces. Poke holes in smaller pieces with a fork.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish.
- In a blender, combine the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, pepper and process on high speed until mixture becomes a paste.
- Add paprika, salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, and cayenne to blender and process until well mixed.
- Add the yogurt and lemon juice to blender and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces. Turn to coat evenly, rubbing the marinade into the holes and slits.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat a grill. (even cooking in oven, set note below)
- Grill chicken for 10 minutes and then turn chicken over and grill for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn and continue cooking as until the chicken is fully cooked.
Note: You can also bake or broil the chicken in an oven. To bake, preheat oven to 425 degrees F and cook chicken pieces on a baking sheet for 35 minutes, turning once.
Keep informed about San Diego Events!
Sign-up for our weekly Eblast by clicking here: Sign Me Up!