- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 large onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 1/2 lbs of beef(cheap cuts are good, but trim fat)
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 4 large beets, peeled, chopped (can be sliced or shredded) Fresh beets are best!
- 4 carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- some parsley for a garnish
- Bring 4 cups of the beef broth, the beef, and onion to boil in large pot.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 2 Spoon fat from top of chilled broth and discard.
- Add remaining 4 cups broth, beets, celery, carrots, and potato; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in meat, cabbage and 1/2 cup dill; cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add vinegar and stir.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Top with remaining dill, sour cream and a sprig of parsley for a garnish. Eat with a hearty bread.
Note: For a much quicker to prepare meal, the beef can be omitted in this recipe. If so, start with step 2 and use all of the broth and onions.
Keep informed about San Diego Events!
Sign-up for our weekly Eblast by clicking here: Sign Me Up!