Savory Thai Fish Cakes These tasty fish cakes can be enjoyed as an appetizer or snack.
- 1 pound fish cake (a paste, preferably fresh, but frozen is okay - just be sure to thaw)
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green beans (uncooked)
- 1/3 cup Kaffir lime leaves chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oil (peanut)
- Mix all ingredients except oil.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Drop teaspoonful sized dollops of the mixture into hot oil and pat down the spoonful with the bottom of the spoon to make a flat patty.
- When bottom becomes golden brown flip the patty.
- When fish cake is golden brown on both sides remove and place on plate lined with paper towels.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vinegar (rice or white)/li>
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 Persian cucumbers, peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced. If using American cucumbers, remove seeds after quartering./li>
- 3 shallots (fewer if large)
- 1 Thai chili pepper sliced in thin rounds (optional)
- Bring water and vinegar to a boil.
- Dissolve sugar and salt in mixture.
- Let mixture cool.
- Add chopped cucumbers, shallots, and Thai chili.
- Chill in refrigerator.
The chilled cucumber sauce may be spooned over warm fish cakes before eating.
Notes: All the ingredients for this recipe can be obtained from the 99 Ranch Market.
Recipe submitted by Kristina Lersbuausin
Photo by Shari K. Johnston-O'Neill
Keep informed about San Diego Events!
Sign-up for our weekly Eblast by clicking here: Sign Me Up!